Thursday 15 September 2011

Michael's Knock-off Pumpkins

A couple weeks ago I was browsing around in Michael's with my sis-in-law, when I spotted some cute fabric pumpkins. I studied them for a while and then decided to try to recreate them myself...but with my own twist of course!


Whaddya think? Wanna learn how?
Well, good! Cause I'm gonna show you.


The first step is an obvious one...pick your fabric!
I have had this suede coat laying in my fabric tote for years...I haven't been able to bring myself to get rid of it. Mainly, I think, because it represents my slimmer old single self from years ago when I had time to care what I looked like...long before the days of gym pants and sweatshirts smeared with boogers and dissolved goldfish crackers (from my toddlers, not me, in case you were wondering).
Well, I thought it permissible now to cut it up and recreate into a pumpkin...I'm all about recycling my old stuff, remember?!


The next step is to make your template. I'm sorry I'm just not computer savvy enough to figure out how to make a downloadable one for you, but really it would take you the same amount of time to make your own as it would to print one off.
Get some stiff paper, or use a file folder, like I did, and decide the length you want to make your strips. The template in this picture is for a medium sized pumpkin at 9.5 inches long.
Measure, mark, cut. Easy peasy.


Then decide the width. Mine is 6.5 inches.
Measure, mark, cut. Easy peasy.


Now fold your rectangle in half and round the corners somewhat similar to this picture.
It's really not that fussy, so don't stress over it!


Here's an example of the three templates I made. The smallest is 7.5" long by 4.75" wide,
the medium is 9.5" x 6.5", the largest is 11.5" x 5".
So you can see that there is no "rule"...just cut!


Pin your template down and cut out six pieces.
On cottons and similar fabrics, you can do an accordion fold and cut out several pieces at once.
Since I was cutting out from a coat, that wasn't an option here.


Since suede has a "nap", I made sure to lay the pieces out with the nap going in the same direction.
Same goes for corduroy and velvet.


Now lay the "right" sides together and stitch up one side. Secure the thread on the bottom, but leave the tails at the top without securing, so that you can gather the fabric later. I hand stitched this pumpkin because of the suede, but using a sewing machine would be much faster and easier!
Just make sure the stitch length is at the longest setting.
And by the way...yes, I DO wipe down my table several times a day, but you sure wouldn't know it by all the fuzz in this picture! Gaaak!


Stitch all your panels together until you end up with a tube like the one in the pic.


Then stitch and gather the bottom of your tube. Gather it together as tightly as possible.
Now you'll start to see your pumpkin taking shape!
Just a side note, but if you're working with a fabric like suede, I highly recommend using upholstery thread and a thimble. Your fingers will thank me later!
You could also use it for corduroy...it'll make your life a little easier!


Now start gathering the seams on the panels.
Pull on the thread until you get the amount of gathering you prefer and fasten off the thread.
Try to keep all the gathered seams even.


Stuff your pumpkin, making sure you get lots of batting into those little "pockets".
I like to cut pieces of batting and stuff them into the little sections to get them nice and plump,
 then I add more to the center. Make sense?!


Now stitch and gather the top of the pumpkin and secure it.


Here's the really fun part where you get to finish off and embellish the pumpkin!
There are sooo many different ways to create a stem for your pumpkin...just look through Pinterest and you'll get at least 50 different ideas. I decided to use a piece of twig from our tree out back.
I just cut it down to the size I wanted, and it was ready to go!
Whatever you decide to use, hot glue it into place over the hole on the top of the pumpkin.


Next, I picked off some velvety leaves (big, fat heart these!) from a stem I bought at Michael's.
You can use whatever tickles your fancy though. Be creative and have fun!


Hot glue it all together with some berries and you're done!
Now wasn't that fun?!
(hey, that rhymed)


Here's a closeup of the smallest pumpkin made out of a cotton blend...


...and of the largest, made out of hubby's old corduroy pants!
(Apparently we both have hoarding issues.) 
This one is my absolute favorite. Corduroy just screams "Fall" to me!
Love.


Happy Fall decorating!!
I can't wait to show you the rest of what I've been working on around here!

Are you linking up to this party?

Chic on a Shoestring Decorating

I am!
 Hope I'll see you there too!!!

------------------------------------------------------------

Feathered Nest Friday








 
 

Weekend Bloggy Reading


The DIY Show Off





Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special
 

Chic on a Shoestring Decorating
Tip Junkie handmade projects
Photobucket





 
 
Fall_Link_Party_Kate

To see other great parties I'm linking up to, click HERE!

58 comments:

  1. These are too cute, Evie! And I love your nail polish, girl! ; )

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are just so creative... and I haven't got a creative bone in my body! Kinda wish I did though. These DIY projects would come as naturally to me as they do for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely idea. I ouch for your coat, LOL!

    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are so adorable and look super easy to make...I think I found my next fall project! I'll be sure to link back here if I blog about it, of course! I LOVE that corduroy pumpkin. You're right, corduroy and fall are synonymous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are the cutest pumpkins! Great job and awesome tutorial!! Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your pumpkins are great. I especially like the suede one. Thanks for sharing. Can't wait to see what your working on next.
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cute! You are so creative!
    -Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  8. How cute are those?! I think I will try some of my own.

    ReplyDelete
  9. these are SO cute! Can't wait to try my hand at some too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. awesome. I actually have a pattern for a pumpkin and I had forgotten about it. What a great idea to get a start on Fall (I dont do Halloween) I am going to explore the rest of your blog and then maybe I will get creative
    Janice

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love these, Evie! What a great new life for that old suede jacket, too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I keep seeing all these pumpkins all over blogland and I love them! I really love how you used the different fabrics--especially the suede! Thanks so much for the tutorial; I need to make this!
    --Jill
    from Jill Made It

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are so cute! I love the suede one! And what a great way to repurpose an old coat!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great tutorial--so easy to follow and the finished product is so cute! Stop by and link up if you have time--
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  15. You did a great job and I love the fabric you used.

    ReplyDelete
  16. These are so pretty. I love how you made them out of suede and corduroy.

    Cheers,
    Tracy Screaming Sardine

    ReplyDelete
  17. SO stinkin' cute, Evie!!! Thank you for the great tutorial! I'm NOT a seamstress at all, but I just may attempt my hand at this project. I want some in my wicker basket for the season! :)

    xoxo laurie

    ReplyDelete
  18. These are absolutely adorable!! I love them!! Thanks so much for sharing at Feathered Nest Friday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love these! Thank you for the fabulous tutorial! You photos are wonderful, too!
    Best Wishes and Blessings,
    Amanda
    p.s. Following you!

    ReplyDelete
  20. These pumpkins are adorable! I love the versatility of being able to make pumpkins to match ANY decor! Thanks for linking up at Freshmen Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I saw them too but yours are so much cuter.

    ReplyDelete
  22. That is adorable!! And what a great tutorial! (haha, that rhymed too!) I love that you made this with an old jacket- way to repurpose!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Simply fantastic! I recently did a long overdue closet cleaning and saved a few pieces as "fabric". Such a great idea. Thanks for linking up to this week's BFF Open House!

    ReplyDelete
  24. That is too cute (I can't believe you cut up a suede coat!) I'm following you back! Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  25. So cute! Love the idea of a suede pumpkin:) Very nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  26. wow you are so creative and talented! I am loving these pumpkins!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Looks like I found something to do today instead of folding laundry. Those leaves and berries totally make it (although who could say no to those delicious fabrics - LOVE!)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi Evie -- well I love these and I've been looking around your blogland and I like it and I want to see how you did those silver pumpkins in your bedroom. So I'll be back. I'm a fan. Love your style, creativity and simplicity. Blessings Terri www.morningdewdrops.typepad.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. Those are so fantastic!! I absolutely love them and totally laughed out loud about the boogers and the goldfish crackers. I'm right there with you on that one! :-) Thank you so much for sharing your talent and creativity with us at Inspiration Friday this week...I'm going to go put this up on our Facebook page wall!
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love them, my husband had the same corduroys! I wish I'd kept them!
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  31. Awesome idea. I wish I had the time AND the patience to do this!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wow! Thank you for this great tutorial. Love the end products. Want to let you know I pinned this to my Quilts, Sewing, Fabric board. Visiting from Debbiedoo's Newbie Party.

    http://christmasspiritallyearlong.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  33. I LOVE,LOVE,LOVE, THESE PUMKINS!

    ReplyDelete
  34. FANTASTIC!! I absolutely LOVE these! Thanks for posting!!

    Please feel free to link your awesome pumpkins up to my Make Yourself Monday blog hop! :o)

    Jamie
    For Love of Cupcakes

    ReplyDelete
  35. Gorgeous pumpkins! Great job, the fabrics match perfectly for the project!

    ReplyDelete
  36. These are the most beautiful pumpkins ever! GREAT tutorial!! Thanks for sharing. ;) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  37. These are so cute! I love them! I am definitely pinning this one! I have a party going on over at my blog if you want to join! I'd love to have you! Check it out under the "Stache Party" page on my blog: mylilpumpkinpatch.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  38. I didn't know how to make these, thank you for the great tutorial, new happy follower!
    XXX Ido

    ReplyDelete
  39. So cute, very clever. You just gave me my project for tonight! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  40. I've wondered how to make those. Thanks for sharing the instructions.

    I love the textures of the fabrics you chose. Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  41. I'm so impressed. This looks just like the ones in the stores! Thanks for the inspiration on how to do this. I started a link party at my blog and I'd love for you to link this up. If you're interested it's http://caribbeanmissionarywife.blogspot.com/ Have a lovely day, Maria

    ReplyDelete
  42. Awesome! Great fabric choices!

    ReplyDelete
  43. I'll be featuring you tomorrow... thank you so much for sharing your project at my party. Make sure you visit and button-up ;)

    Hope to see you at The 36th AVENUE!

    ReplyDelete
  44. I just love the suede pumpkin, and what a nice way to pay tribute to an old friend...
    Hugs,
    Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  45. Your pumpkins are adorable and it's so sweet of you to give us a tutorial on just how to make them. They are all so cute, but the suede one is terrific. You may have just persuaded me to drag out my sewing machine!

    Thanks for linking to Potpourri Friday and helping to make it a success! I appreciate your participation!

    ReplyDelete
  46. I love this, Evie! Thanks so much for linking up! I just featured this on my blog! Hope you have a fabulous weekend!
    Crystal
    Homemaker in Heels

    ReplyDelete
  47. These are great, so adorable! Thanks for linking up, I will be featuring you this week. It will be up on Tuesday evening:)

    ReplyDelete
  48. You've been featured! Thanks for linking up! Check it out here: http://www.thekurtzcorner.com/2011/09/link-party-features-no-7.html

    ReplyDelete
  49. These are amazing! How talented & creative are you! Great job. Perfect for the season! I am so glad you shared this @ Show & Share! Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  50. These look fantastic! I love the effect with the berries. :) Thanks so much for linking at one artsy mama!

    ReplyDelete
  51. What a clever way to create your pumpkins. To date, I've only seen the gathered ones. Yours have so much more dimension this way. :-) Visiting from Kate's party. ~ Sue

    ReplyDelete
  52. I just had to let you know that I used your tutorial to make some plush pumpkins today. Thank you so much for sharing this! They were easy and fun to make. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...