Tuesday 16 August 2011

Pad (Phad) Thai My Way

I recently had a couple requests for my Pad (or Phad depending on how you like to spell it) Thai recipe,
so, since I was making it for dinner anyhow I thought I'd snap a few pics along the way
and share with all of you too.

I found this recipe years ago, and unfortunately have no recollection of the source, but I've been making it for a looong time and it's been a big hit. Big enough that I've handed out the recipe numerous times and even my pickiest of guests have eaten it and had seconds and then thirds. You know you've got a winner then, right?!!

Hubby spent a year living in Thailand after the tsunami (which is probably why I copied down this recipe as a newlywed), and he says the flavor is pretty authentic to how he remembers it...although I have made some adjustments along the way. So please don't send me hate mail if your Thai friend says he's never tasted anything like it, and doesn't mean it in a positive way! ; )

Here's how we make it round these parts...


First, cut up one or two limes into wedges, then chop up three or four green onions and some salted peanuts. The amount you cut up really depends on how much you like to eat...there's no rule here.
I tend to put them out in separate bowls and let people sprinkle everything over their own serving.


Then chop up 2 garlic cloves, throw into a bowl and add 1/4 cup fish sauce, 1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp. white sugar, 1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp. white vinegar and 1 tsp. paprika. Whisk it all together and set aside.


I like to use Shanghai Thin Noodles for this dish, but the ones I buy are manufactured in Calgary, AB,
and I have no idea if this is something you can buy everywhere. I'm sorry for my ignorance!
However, I have also made it several times with rice noodles and it's also very good.
If you have gluten allergies...rice noodles are the way to go!
Which ever noodle you decide to use...prep them now.
If you're using the Shanghai noodles...rinse them in cold water to separate and set aside.
 If you're using rice noodles, soak them in hot water until they are pliable and ready to use.


Next, heat your fry pan on medium and add a good amount of olive oil. My recipe calls for 1/2 cup, but I never use that much...maybe 3 Tbsp. I think it's really personal preference. Chop up two or three chicken breasts - depending on how hungry you are! - and throw into the pan. Crumble one or two dried chili peppers over top. Do you love my indirect directions?! It's on purpose...if you like lots of chicken...add lots of chicken. If you like food spicy...add more chili peppers!! I use two because I have two little ones who eat the same food as we do and I prefer not to burn their taste buds.
Cook it up, stirring periodically, until the chicken is cooked through.


Now add the fish sauce mixture, as well as the noodles. At this point, you should also add about 3/4 cup of bean sprouts too! I didn't have any in the house...so you'll just have to pretend you see it here!
It really adds a delicious texture....yum.
Mix everything up well with a pair of tongs and turn off the heat.
(I believe the real Pad Thai also includes a couple of eggs thrown in under the noodles and chicken and is cooked before the bean sprouts are added.)


Dish it up and sprinkle green onions and peanuts over the noodles and chicken
and finally squeeze fresh lime juice over everything!

Enjoy!!

Yummy, yummy, YUMMY.
And...you're welcome.

:)

-------------------------------------------

7 comments:

  1. Awesome! I hope you enjoy it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Evie,
    Just found you over at the Creative Spark...I {love} pad thai. I may just have to try this at home. Thanks for sharing your recipe and pics.
    Allison

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Evie,
    Thai food is one of our favorite foods around here! My hubby is vegetarian but I could easily adapt this recipe. Thanks so much for sharing on The Creative Spark - featuring this on Sunday! Have a great weekend!
    Jenn :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Allison & Jenn! Looking forward to Sunday!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Could you maybe make this for me when I come over for that garden tea we were going to have?? *wink*

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just made this again tonight, this is one of my favorite recipes, yum yum!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...