Tuesday 23 August 2011

Coconut Marshmallows

This past weekend, my little family and I had a short little getaway with our extended family.
I had a strong suspicion there would be some backyard fires goin' on, so I wanted to whip up a batch of marshmallows to bring along. Coconut marshmallows to be exact. 
I'm not exactly sure where I originally found this , but I'm guessing it was a Martha Stewart recipe, judging by the "exact" instructions! At any rate...it has a high yum factor.
Here's how you can make some yourself...

First, preheat your oven to 325 F.


Then evenly spread about four cups of shredded, sweetened coconut onto a baking sheet and toast in the oven until the coconut is nicely browned - about 12 minutes or so. You'll want to stir it a few times to keep it from burning on the bottom. Once it's browned, set it aside and let it cool.


Then oil a 9" x 13" cake pan and sprinkle about a cup or so of the cooled coconut
over the bottom of the pan.

Next, add 1/2 cup of cold water to a mixing bowl and sprinkle 3 1/2 packages of gelatin over the water. Let it soften up.


In the meantime, add 2 cups of sugar, 1/2 cup of corn syrup, 1/2 cup of hot water (about 115 F)
and 1/4 tsp. of salt to a large saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring with a wooden spoon until the sugar is dissolved. Increase the heat to a medium setting and boil mixture, without stirring, until a candy thermometer reads 240 F - about 12 minutes. Remove the saucepan from the heat and pour the sugar mixture over the gelatin mixture, stirring until all the gelatin has dissolved.
You still with me? That was the hardest part, trust me.


In a separate bowl, whip two large egg whites until they're stiff. For best results, make sure you use a metal bowl and your eggs are at room temp. Set this aside for a bit.
(I whipped mine up before I cooked the sugar mixture, and by the time I was ready to use the whites, there was quite a lot of liquid in the bottom of the bowl. They turned out fine, but it probably would have been best if I had waited...like I'm telling you to do!)


Now beat the sugar/gelatin mixture on high speed until it's white, thick and nearly tripled in volume...about six minutes. I highly suggest you use a standing mixer for this. I have a 300 watt Kitchen Aid mixer and it sounded like it was working hard, so I really doubt a hand mixer would cut it.

Once it is whipped and nice and voluminous...add the egg whites and 3/4 tsp. of coconut extract.
Mix until just combined.


Pour the fluffy yumminess into your cake pan and sprinkle another cup or so of toasted coconut over top.


I like to pat it down so it's nice and even all over.
Chill, uncovered, until firm...about three hours or overnight.


Once it's set, run a thin knife around the edges and invert on a large cutting board.
That's one big marshmallow!!
Trim around the edges and then cut into one inch cubes.


Roll the sticky sides in more coconut...and you're done!!!

Now if you're still doing some late summer camping...these are absolutely YUMMY roasted over a fire.




Or if you know someone who is going camping soon...why not throw together a Smores Kit as a special gift to take along?



If camping in not in your plans...marshmallow pops make a sweet gift too.
Insert a stick, tie a cello bag over the pop and they are ready for sticky little fingers...


...and mouths...


Or put together a marshmallow pop bouquet in a sweet little container...


...a back to school gift for the teacher, perhaps?


But then on second thought....you could just put them in a container and enjoy them for yourself...
I won't tell...promise!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Linking to:




 



36th Avenue



Chic on a Shoestring Decorating

8 comments:

  1. So sweet! Especially the little one enjoying it! Thanks for linking to Wicked Awesome Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy! And I love the detailed step by step instructions.... such a nice idea for camping or as gifts. Thanks for sharing this wonderful treat with us and for your sweet comment on my landscaping. Have a nice day!~Poppy

    http://withadashofcolor.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds and looks amazing. I love anything with coconut and putting it with homemade marshmallows makes it sound even better. I have never tried making them but we are camping next weekend so they would be great to have. I am also sending this link to my blog partner/mom because I know she would love this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUM! This looks so good! I'd love it if you came over to Cast Party Wednesday and shared this recipe with us.
    Thanks,
    I hope to see you there!
    http://ladybehindthecurtain.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, these look insanely delicious, and what a great gift idea!!!
    http://thebiggreenbowl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Homemade marshmallows! Say what!?! YUM YUM YUM.... these for smores would be AMAZING!

    visiting from Funky Junk link party

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those look delicious!!! Definitely putting on my Pinterest board :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Evie! These look soo yummy. I just pinned 'em.

    Aren't you loving this weather? This is how winter should be. =) Good luck with your office design.

    ~ Catie

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...