Friday 5 August 2011

A Chalkboard for the Garden

Well, it seems like I'm on a bit of a chalk board kick right now.
But hey, why not...I haven't done much chalk boarding since grade school,
so I guess I'll make up for lost time now!

Hubs and I like entertaining and throwing parties and my favorite kind of party or get-together is the backyard kind. Fire roasted smokies...homemade coconut marshmallows...bush pies...and LOTS of iced tea (I believe that's the same as sweet tea for my American readers!)...makes for good times and easy hosting.

In our last home, once you walked in the gate, you were kind of already in the backyard...hard to explain but it worked out really well for entertaining. Our new home, however, is much more typical with gates at the sides of the house and, unless our guests have been previously instructed,  most people will knock on the door, come in, take their shoes off, walk through the house, out the back door, put their shoes on again and then finally down the deck stairs into the back yard. Quite a few steps just to get to the party!
So I thought it would be nice to have something attractive to hang on the gate to let people know to enter there and I thought a chalk board would do the job perfectly.  


I picked up this frame at a garage sale for 25 cents several weeks ago, with this project in mind!


Last week, we were finally able to cut down a piece of...something...? I'm sorry...I don't even know what kind of material it is! Anyhow, Hubs cut it down to fit the frame. He's not happy about me posting this picture, because apparently one of the sides isn't perfectly straight. Sorry honey!
Anyhow, I gave it about five or six coats of chalk board spray paint and let it cure for just over 24 hours.


I gave the frame a few coats of white paint...
(again...please excuse that embarrassing mess of a lawn! It's a work in progress...)


...then dry rubbed some Burnt Umber acrylic paint over it and then finally sanded it down a bit in some spots.
Funny how us DIY'ers have to change everything, hey?

Then I inserted the chalk board into the frame and tacked it down with very tiny nails. I took a picture, but my non-manicured hands do NOT look nice in a macro photo, so you'll just have to use your imagination!
I also fastened some claw hooks...not sure if that's the right name but we'll go with it...to the top and side
so that I can hang it either way.


Here she is all finished and ready to let our guests know where to go and how to get there (haha)!

Then I decided to have a fun little photo shoot and make up a sign for a party
that I am going to have one of these years...



Standing up on the sidewalk with a few girly props works too...


I'm not gonna lie to ya though. I was just a tad bit embarrassed doing this photo shoot in my front yard with my cul-de-sac neighbors driving by and wondering what was up with their crazy neighbor.
I was desperately wishing they would come over and ask what I was doing, so I could something like...
"Oh! Hi! I have a blog. That's why I twist my body into funny contortions in the front yard while taking photos of lacy umbrellas and chalk boards on the side walk, and then take it all down again and go inside like nothing ever happened. Really!" But, no, they never did, and I'm pretty sure they're still wondering.


Ah well. Let's add a little romance by blurring the picture a bit.
I've always wanted to take a Victoria magazine-esque picture!


I won't be using this on my gate all the time, obviously, so I thought maybe this little corner could use a little more froofing...


I really love how it fills in that little space on the lattice wall...


...especially now that the flowers are filling in and frame it quite nicely...


It's kinda tempting to sit down with that Victoria magazine and have a little lemonade...hmmm...

------------------------------------------

Linking up to:






23 comments:

  1. What a great idea. I love your chalk board garden sign, especially the photo shoots of "Tea Is In the Garden" and the "Fresh Flowers"!
    Have a good weekend.
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  2. chalk boards are so AWESOME! I love how elegant yours is, GREAT JOB!

    Jeni@ Becoming Martha

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll come for tea! Do we get to drink out of fancy tea cups too??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your chalkboard project and had to post it to my Pinterest...I have a weekly linky party, if you have time, come on over and link up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so darned cute. You did a fantastic job. Thanks for sharing with the newbie party.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your chalkboard came out great! I've been wanting to make one for my kitchen.
    -Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loooooooooooove chalkboard paint and your chalkboard turned out beautiful. I love your many uses as well!

    I would be thrilled if you would link up your post at my Savvy HomeMade blog party at http://www.homesavvyatoz.com/2011/08/07/bog-party-2

    I am a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow I LOVE how this turned out! So so CUTE!!

    xo-
    Jamielyn
    I ♥ Nap Time

    ReplyDelete
  9. You did a stellar job on the frame and I love, love, love the shot with the parasol in it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How funny to have your neighbors watching you! Maybe they need to copy your sweet idea.

    Dee

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've always wanted to make my own chalkboard...have't gotten around to it yet though, so many crafts so little time! Your turned out great! :) I'd love for you to link up at my Tuesday Tutorials link party! I'll be hosting one every Tuesday, the link is open now :) Hope to see you there!

    www.thekurtzcorner.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous! I'm doing a whole wall in my kiddo's room- hope it turns out as well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fantastic idea.

    It looks amazing.

    Love the blog.

    Fiona~ @Raindrops & Daisies

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks, and I love your chalkboards, too! I also have a ton of the them at home. I love to change the messages! Your newest follower, Andrea @ townandprairie

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love this idea! I may borrow for an up-coming party.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is just awesome! You did a great job!

    I would love for you to join us at “It’s a Party” today!
    www.acreativeprincess.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. So Pretty. You did a great job making that chalk board and then the photos... I can so relate. My neighbors just shake their heads and go back inside while I'm down on my belly talking to myself, moving tea cups here and there. Gotta love blogging. Oh, and I am your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the chalkboard! That is such a cute idea for directing guests. I will take some of those 25cent flowers. Oh, the flowers look great.

    I am hopping over from Debbiedoos. I am your newest follower. Please come by to see me and enter my great giveaway. It ends tonight. Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great chalkboard! I love the distressing on it! I see you have your facebook up and running - I liked you! Thanks so much for sharing at The Creative Spark. Hope to see you back again!
    Jenn :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yay!!!
    Now I need a chalkboard...what a fabulous idea.
    I too get a little worried when I am setting up tables outside. "what are the neighbors thinking?" I have had people drive by very slowly as it is getting dark and I am lighting candles on the front lawn and have heard little kids say "mom what is that lady doing?" ~giggle~

    I am your newest follower, glad I found your blog, stop by and see me sometime!

    ~~Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi~

    Chalkboards are great!! I don't think there could ever be too many, they are so versatile. I invite you to link to my {K.I.S.S.} Blog Bash. Happy to be a new follower too. :)

    ~Christina~

    Drop By The Tattered Tag

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow! Such a great idea! I made a chalkboard out of an old kitchen cabinet door. You can check it out on my blog domestic8d.blogspot.com. I'd love for you to stop by. I found your blog via Debbiedoos Party.

    PS...Your paper peonies are lovely too and I'm your newest follower:)

    Happy blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Super cute~ love making chalkboards too and yours turned out wonderful!! Thanks for sharing at Feathered Nest Friday! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...